Search Mobile Menu

Passports and visas

Travelling internationally

If you are travelling internationally, a valid passport is normally required.

For some countries your passport will need to be valid for at least six months after your intended return and you may also need a visa.

Before travelling you should always check your destination country's entry requirements and allow enough time to renew your passport and/or apply for a visa at the relevant embassy or consulate.

Confirm the entry requirements of the country you are visiting in our destination guides.

Travel to the USA from a visa waiver country

All travelers from visa waiver countries now require travel authorization in advance, in addition to having a machine readable passport. The system is referred to as 'ESTA', short for Electronic System for Travel Authorization. The application process should be done in advance online and it is run by the US Department of Homeland Security (DHS). Apply online.

Lost or stolen passports

Passports do get lost and although it will take time getting a replacement, you can make life easier by taking photocopies with you. It may also be worth carrying additional photographic ID separate from your passport.

If your passport is lost or stolen you must report it to the UK Identity and Passport Service (IPS) by calling their Adviceline on 0300 222 0000.

If you're abroad, report any passport losses or thefts to the local police in the country you're in. You can get details of your local embassy, consulate or high commission by calling +44 (0)20 7008 1500 (or 0870 606 0290 if you're in the UK).